iv icons and cacheing results

Discussion and questions about anything in the tech section, or any of the software or libraries I've released or have worked on.
paulg

iv icons and cacheing results

Post by paulg »

Hi,

I followed your sourceforge listing here. Thks for the great class. I visited the IV site where they explained:

a) download the icons locally
b) we should cache results locally

Both of these things would reduce bandwidth and therefore increase liklihood this great service continues.

a) If you are thinking of versioning your class +1 I got the icons zipped - if you want to distribute them with your class to save you a few minutes..
$iconpath= /iv_icons/s/ #for small icons
$iconpath= /iv_icons/l/ #for large icons

Hopefully this would help your class users and IV too.

b) Cache - I am sure I can write it to a file, but how would you check it every 3 hours? IV say their refresh is 3 hrs now.

Thanks for the class!

Cheers

Paul
Giz
Site Admin

Re: iv icons and cacheing results

Post by Giz »

paulg wrote:Hi,

I followed your sourceforge listing here. Thks for the great class. I visited the IV site where they explained:

a) download the icons locally
b) we should cache results locally

Both of these things would reduce bandwidth and therefore increase liklihood this great service continues.

a) If you are thinking of versioning your class +1 I got the icons zipped - if you want to distribute them with your class to save you a few minutes..
$iconpath= /iv_icons/s/ #for small icons
$iconpath= /iv_icons/l/ #for large icons

Hopefully this would help your class users and IV too.

b) Cache - I am sure I can write it to a file, but how would you check it every 3 hours? IV say their refresh is 3 hrs now.

Thanks for the class!

Cheers

Paul
Glad you've got some use out of the class. I did the same thing with the Icons, and have them available for download. I plan to update the documentation and rerelease it in the near future. In the meantime I added a note to the original announcement with the location of the download. I guess I should probably move that to it's own thread.

As for caching, I agree that's a good idea for the class. I'll have to give it some thought. I tried to access IV's site, and of course it seems to be down right now. Will have to check back later.